Friday, February 19, 2021

Even with the end in sight?----(Winter 2021 newsletter)

 

--resuming our lives will be different....
Having received my second shot (Pfizer, in Florida), I should be looking toward the end of the road. Yet, I can't envision a life in which I will sit in a theater, enjoying the talent while ignoring the person coughing behind me, attending a crowded gala, or not wearing a mask in the street. And when will I resume international travel?

What I do envision is how we will come out of this experience open-eyed, regrouped--and somewhat different. We've already shed marginal involvements and have sought new meanings. Time to plan for brighter days that focus on what's important....

Life in Florida....
It has taken me a long time to shed my guilt over enjoying beach weather in this "forever-Sundays" land, while my family and friends up north are freezing--until I realized that my guilt did not change the weather there....


While I spend long days on the computer, I do take a break in the late afternoons for nature walks. And there is so much to see here--tropical birds and trees against the blue sea reveal themselves in endlessly surprising and breathtaking sights.

Get ready: March is Women's History Month!

                                                       And what history do we, women, have!

Some of my novels tell unique stories of women's history: JERUSALEM MAIDEN (lives of Jewish women in traditional Jerusalem, entrusted with the impossible mission of saving world Jewry), HOTEL MOSCOW (the trials and challenges for Russian women during transition from communism), and THE THIRD DAUGHTER (exposing our most painful chapter of legal sex trafficking).


Autographing is back! 
Some communities are bringing back the old-fashioned autographing to complement their Zoom programming.

Here, I've had the pleasure of signing dozens of copies of THE THIRD DAUGHTER in my own dining room. (Ordered by the venue from HarperCollins, which shipped the books to me. Then, after signing them--and sticking my signature bookmark in each--I shipped the boxes to the destination.)


Zooming along! 
Since March 2020, I've presented at over 150 communities across the USA (and have met with over 120 book clubs)!

Civic, educational, cultural and religious organizations are engaging their members with thought-provoking lectures. My presentations about the background of THE THIRD DAUGHTER are accompanied with slides of rare photos that deepen the understanding of the time and place.

Word-of-mouth about my talks is buzzing. Testimonials call them "brilliant," "intelligent," "most engaging," "best speaker," "extraordinary," "vivid," and "off the charts!"

If you're considering an outreach program for your membership, please contact my event coordinator, Helaine Denenberg, at MecoxHudson@gmail.com (617)329-5651 for our flyer of speaking topics.


The Jewish Book Council choice: THE THIRD DAUGHTER is among its 16 recommendations for book clubs in 2021!

(Click to download JBC 2021 guide.)

Over 120 clubs have enjoyed my book club group meetings in which we discuss "spoilers"--plot, characters, moral dilemmas, dynamics of relationships, religious practices--and the novel's ending. (Click the Reader's Guide for great questions.)

If your club wishes to participate, please write to me at AuthorTalia@aol.com (and include the number of expected attendees, your location, etc.)


What are you working on? 

That's a frequent question from readers. Unfortunately, I discovered that answering it locked me psychologically--as if to a promise--before a novel has found its groove.

All I can reveal now (while editing pages on the beach), is that the story is set in France and it opens two interesting chapters in our history, yet unexplored in fiction. Research for this book has been extensive: Four pre-pandemic trips to France, over 20 fascinating interviews, and the studying of two dozen books in English and French.

Yet I can't even report when this book will be done since I do not set a deadline for myself (nor do I pre-sign a contract with my publisher). I let the words flow, for the plot to unspool, and for the prose to become both textured and nuanced...


Thank you for your enthusiasm and support! 
Each week I receive heart-warming emails from readers. There is no greater pleasure for an author than to share her work with an appreciative audience.

I am looking forward to a promising 2021--and to connecting with you through the spoken and written word, a gift that no pandemic and its aftermath can snatch away from us!

Stay safe!

Talia



P.S.  reminder to post reviews as your gift to any author who's given you hours of engagement--a romantic beach fun, a nail-biting murder mystery, or a heart-wrenching psychological suspense. (Here are the links to post reviews for THE THIRD DAUGHTER on Amazon and GoodReads.)

P.P.S. If you have not yet read THE THIRD DAUGHTER, please check the first chapter on my website. I encourage you to support your local indie store, but it is also available on B&NAmazon, and iTunes--as well as in  LARGE PRINT!

No comments:

Post a Comment